To meet unpredictable traffic patterns and a surge in bandwidth demand generated from new residential and enterprise customers, Vianet Communications, one of the largest fixed broadband operators in Nepal, has chosen Ciena’s 6500 Packet-Optical Platform and 5160 Service Aggregation Switch.
Through this deployment, Vianet can achieve the levels of capacity, flexibility, resiliency, and openness required to create a network that can quickly adapt to changing user demands.
- Vianet has more than 70,000 customers and has been the pioneer in introducing FTTH technology in the ISP arena in Nepal. Voted the most respected ISP in Nepal for four years in a row, Vianet has grown by three times in as many years and is rapidly expanding to new locations in Nepal.
- To improve intracity connectivity in Kathmandu and provide international connectivity between Nepal and other countries, Vianet is deploying Ciena’s industry-leading 6500 platform. The 6500 will also help to streamline operations and optimize footprint, power and capacity.
- Additionally, Ciena’s network management software will enable a greater level of control over Vianet’s network, providing end-to-end visibility of its services across all transport, switching and packet elements. This will also make it easier for Vianet to rapidly deploy new services and optimize the use of current network and bandwidth assets.
Data sheet 5160 Service Aggregation Switch product data sheet
- Vianet is also deploying Ciena’s 5160 Service Aggregation Switch to efficiently deliver and aggregate large quantities of packet data while meeting stringent service level agreements.
- “As a network provider to Nepal for almost two decades, our customers have come to expect a superior level of service – and it’s something we must continue to provide. As we expand our market share, Ciena has made the process of keeping up with changing customer preferences easy, especially with the added software intelligence and visibility of activity of our network.”
– Prasanna Pokhrel, CEO, Vianet
- “Operators around the world are looking for adaptive networking solutions to help meet the low latency and highly reliable connectivity rates required to support streaming services, virtual reality, artificial intelligence and other advanced services. Ciena’s collaboration with Vianet, our first customer in Nepal, gives them the network it needs to meet consumer demands and remain competitive.” – Ryan Perera, Vice President and General Manager, Ciena India
About Vianet Communications P. Ltd.
Vianet Communications P. Ltd. is one of the leading providers of high speed Internet connectivity and communications solutions for business and individuals in the greater Kathmandu Valley. Established in 1999, Vianet Communications has always remained in the forefront providing reliable and affordable Broadband Internet Services. In 2011 Vianet Communications pioneered in introducing Fiber Optics Internet or commonly known as FTTH (Fiber To The Home) internet service and has been successful in connecting the most number of homes and offices with FTTH in the region. We are solely focused on FTTH services and our engineers constantly strive to bring the best product and service package according to our customer needs. Vianet Communications aims to be the service provider that makes future Broadband dream a reality today.
Ciena is a networking systems, services and software company. We provide solutions that help our clients create the Adaptive Network™ in response to the constantly changing demands of their users. By delivering best-in-class networking technology through high-touch consultative relationships, we build the world’s most agile networks with automation, openness and scale. For updates on Ciena, or visit www.ciena.com