QuickPlay Media, Inc. the leading provider of managed solutions for the distribution of premium video to IP-connected devices, today announced enhanced support for the Microsoft® Mediaroom™ IPTV platform. QuickPlay now enables IPTV service providers using Mediaroom and other leading IPTV middleware platforms to quickly and cost-effectively extend their multiscreen services to iOS, Android™ and other OTT, IP-enabled platforms – without the requirement to invest in new infrastructure.
In addition to having a variety of IPTV services available to choose from, today’s consumers access content from a rapidly expanding variety of devices and platforms. Research by SNL Kagan reveals “there will be an average of 4.45 connected devices for each UK home,” by 2017. Further, in that timeframe, “the UK’s connected device population will increase from 24 million in 2012 to 122.7 million by 2017.”
With this solution, QuickPlay helps IPTV providers to overcome the resource- and cost-intensive measures associated with trying to keep up with the continued proliferation of devices. QuickPlay supports all major mobile platforms and over 300 device family profiles including: Apple® iPhone™ and iPad™, Amazon® Kindle Fire™, HTC One S™, Motorola® Droid™, Samsung® Galaxy™, Android™ set-top boxes, connected TVs and Microsoft Xbox™ and Windows® 8 devices.
Microsoft Mediaroom is one of the world’s most popular IPTV platforms and is used by 40+ of the world’s leading operators including: AT&T, Telefonica and TELUS. Microsoft Mediaroom delivers TV services to more than eight million consumer households and more than 16 million set-top boxes deployed throughout the Americas, EMEA and APAC.
“There is now a clear path for the many IPTV operators using Microsoft Mediaroom and other middleware platforms to extend their multiscreen services to today’s most popular devices,” said Wayne Purboo, QuickPlay CEO and Co-founder. “At IBC, we’ll demonstrate how our cloud-based solution empowers IPTV operators to offer their customers a smartphone, tablet and game console experience with a full range of features and content found on the living-room set-top box, without the requirement of investing in costly infrastructure.”
The new solution is built on QuickPlay’s cloud-based OpenVideo platform™ and manages all stages of media content transformation – from ingestion and DRM packaging to delivery – for both live and on demand programming. The solution includes:
• Cloud-based service delivery from QuickPlay’s specialised head-end facilities;
• Full media operations and 24/7 service monitoring with industry-leading SLAs;
• Integration with BSS/OSS for Authentication/Authorisation;
• Entitlement management for IPTV subscription type & devices in household accounts;
• Flexible Operator-branded UX;
• Companion and remote control functionality with Mediaroom Set Top Box;
• Shared viewing experiences such as pause and resume across DVR and devices;
• Dynamic advertising insertion (FreeWheel, Google® DoubleClick);
• Content protected with PlayReady DRM™ and/or Widevine®;
• Geo-restrictions as required; and
• Broadcaster and studio-approved content protection (MPAA-compliant)