1. Singapore, February 11, 2014 – The 5th Annual Mobile Payments & E-Commerce Emerging Markets 2014 Summit will open this Thursday in Yangon. 2. Already in its fifth year, the Summit which will take place on 13th and 14th February 2014 is organized with the support of the Myanmar Ministry of Communications and Information Technology and the Central Bank of Myanmar.
3. This year’s Summit which has a special focus on tapping new opportunities in mobile payments and e-commerce will present a unique platform for participants to establish partnership, collaboration or joint ventures with telcos, e-commerce companies and banks planning to capitalize on current mobile trends and technologies, to rollout new business or product offerings and earn new and ancillary revenue in Myanmar and other emerging markets around the world.
4. The Honourable H.E. U Thaung Tin, Union Deputy Minister of the Ministry of Communications and Information Technology, Myanmar will deliver the Ministerial Address during the first day of the Summit.
5. Other key banking and industry speakers at the Summit include H.E. Daw Khin Saw Oo, Deputy Governor, Central Bank of Myanmar; Tine Wollebekk, Senior Vice President, Financial Services, Telenor Group; Ivan Mortimer-Schutts, Senior Operations Officer/leading Mobile Payment activities in Asia, International Finance Corporation, The World Bank Group; U Zaw Lin Htut, CEO, Myanmar Payment Union; Loeung Sopheap, Senior Vice President, Head of Product Development, Acleda Bank; Dr Soe Tun, President, Myanmar Farmer Association; Tillman Bruett, Manager, Mobile Money for the Poor, United Nation’s Capital Development Fund; Eric Duflos, Regional Representative, East Asia and the Pacific, CGAP, The World Bank; Hitoshi Okada. Mobile Commerce & Payment Specialist, National Institute of Informatics, Japan; Senior Representative, Google; Senior Management, Myanmar Airways International and Air Mandalay.
6. More than 180 participants from Myanmar, Thailand, Cambodia, India, Singapore, Japan, Vietnam, Pakistan, China, UAE, Bulgaria, Laos, Hong Kong, Norway. Philippines, Israel etc will be at the Summit to discuss the latest market insights into mobile banking & payments, the regulatory and operational challenges and emerging opportunities.
7. Mastercard, a technology company in the global payments industry is the Summit’s Gold Sponsor. “Myanmar’s transformation and investment in internet and mobile infrastructure will enable banks to launch safe and simple payment solutions from MasterCard that will accelerate financial inclusion and digital payment adoption in Myanmar,” said David Chan, Group Head and Senior Vice President, Market Development, South East Asia, MasterCard Worldwide.
8. Telenor, an international provider of telecoms, data and communication services is the Summit’s Silver Sponsor. “Telenor has seen first-hand in markets throughout the Asia how mobile financial services can play a major role in the development of economies and in supporting personal financial management for people. As part of our commitment to the rapid roll-out of a modern telecommunications network in Myanmar and to bringing affordable and high-quality mobile communications to people across the country, we will ensure that both the banked and unbanked segments of society throughout Myanmar have access to fast, efficient and cost-effective mobile financial services,” said Roar Bjaerum, Head of Financial Services Asia, Telenor Group.
9. Exhibitors at the Summit include Software Group, a specialised IT company providing technology services and solutions to a range of players in the financial sector and Elite Tech, an experienced turnkey service provider of building GSM/UMTS infrastructure, high quality maintenance services for MPT’s GSM/UMTS base-stations.
10. Associate Supporters of the Summit include TPS, a leading company in the space of Cards and Payments solutions and Gilat Satellite Networks, a leading provider of products and services for satellite-based broadband communications.
11. The CEO of the conference organizing company, Magenta Global Pte Ltd, Singapore, Ms Maggie Tan, said: “We are delighted with the exceptional turnout, reflecting the timeliness of this Summit as Myanmar transforms the financial landscape and positions the country for growth.”
12. The Summit will be held at Parkroyal Yangon.
Ms Merilynn Choo
Tel: +65 6391 2549
About Magenta Global, Singapore – Organizer
Magenta Global is a premier independent business media company that provides pragmatic and relevant information to government & business executives and professionals worldwide. The organization provides the opportunity to share thought-provoking insights, exchange ideas on the latest industry trends and technological developments with thought leaders and business peers. With a strong focus in emerging economies especially in Africa, Middle East & Central Asia, Central & South America, Magenta Global works in partnership with both the public & private sectors.
About Mastercard – Gold Sponsor
Mastercard is a technology company in the global payments industry. MasterCard operates the world’s fastest payments processing network, connecting consumers, financial institutions, merchants, governments and businesses in more than 210 countries and territories. MasterCard’s products and solutions make everyday commerce activities – such as shopping, traveling, running a business and managing finances – easier, more secure and more efficient for everyone.
About Telenor – Silver Sponsor
Telenor Group is one of the world’s major mobile operators with more than 160 million mobile subscriptions and operations in more than 13 markets. As an international provider of telecoms, data and communication services Telenor is in a strong position to bring mobile financial services to the unbanked. Telenor is a trusted and established brand within South East Asia, with a large and secure distribution network, all of which are key competences in mobile banking. Telenor Myanmar is committed to mobile financial services to the people of Myanmar.
About Software Group – Exhibitor
Software Group is a specialised IT company providing technology services and solutions to a range of players in the financial sector. The company is particularly focused on addressing the needs of commercial banks, microfinance institutions (MFIs), cooperatives, credit unions, payment network operators and mobile operators. A worldwide client base is served from the headquarters based in Bulgaria and established support offices in Kenya, Ghana, Mexico, Australia and the Philippines. Software Group prides itself on delivering products and services which adhere to the principles of quality, transparency and affordability.
About Elite Tech – Exhibitor
By transforming the resources of Elite Tech Group, Elite Telecom Public Company Limited is the most experienced turnkey service provider of building GSM/UMTS infrastructure, high quality maintenance services for MPT’s GSM/UMTS base-stations. Being a pioneer in providing FTTX service, wholesales distributing of Mobile SIM CARDS, producing Top-Up cards and providing One-Stop service from 37 Elite Mobile Shops, Elite strives to provide up-to-date Quality Products & Outstanding Services that meet various Customer Needs & fully Reliable in all Engineering Projects Work.
The Telecom Division part of the MER Group is a leading worldwide telecommunications infrastructure and network, hardware and software solution provider, which provides a wide array of end-to-end, vendor-independent network and software/hardware solutions of any scale. From network planning, site design and construction, and provision of towers to development of innovative value-added services (VAS), billing solutions and operational support system (OSS) solutions, the division meets the various needs of Wireless & telecom, enterprise, and public sector customers.
About TPS – Associate Supporter
TPS is a leading company in the space of Cards and Payments solutions, serving a delighted customer base of over 132 banks, telecoms, central banks, payment processors and other financial institutions spread across 32 countries. TPS offers a combination of technical and business expertise in the area of card management, multi-channel issuing and acquiring, payment processing, alternate delivery channel management, bills presentment and payment, remittances, payment gateways and internet and mobile banking.
About Gilat Satellite Networks – Associate Supporter
With 1 million+ VSATs delivered to satisfied customers worldwide, it’s no wonder Gilat Satellite Networks (GILT) leads in satellite communications. Gilat Satellite Networks is a leading provider of products and services for satellite-based broadband communications. With over 25 years of experience, and customers in more than 85 countries, Gilat develops and markets a wide range of high-performance satellite ground segment equipment and VSATs. Gilat provides enterprises, service providers and operators with efficient and reliable solutions, including cellular backhaul, banking, retail, e-government and rural communication networks.